Saturday, May 10, 2014

An ugly thing called unkindness

I came across this amazing video that really substantiates the phrase 'choose your words carefully'. It's not just bull crap, it is scientific. It made me think of all the times I've been ruthless with my words towards friends, family, acquaintances and about how much damage I might've caused to them. It also made me think of how much damage has been caused to me over all the years in my life by bullies in school, in relationships and probably even by my parents, merely through words.

It puts into perspective the need to really think about the words you put out there, knowing that they have the power to change a person's constitution on such a basic, physical level. How can we be so unkind to the dearest, most loved people in our lives? What gives us the right to impede a child's growth by reprimanding him/her so harshly for innocent mistakes? How does it benefit us to impair someone's self worth through name calling in a petty fight?

Before I get too emo, here's the video I spoke of - specifically between 6.22 mins and 8.10 mins.