Sunday, May 25, 2008

Angels and Demons

The mind is an incredible and mysterious device. It just never ceases to amaze and mystify me. Why is it so hard to be happy and yet so amazingly easy to be unhappy? Why is it that happiness has to be consciously achieved and yet sadness comes ever so naturally? How is it that there are innumerous books and theories out there giving you a point wise guidance to achieve ultimate happiness and none that tell you how to achieve unhappiness? Are there any naturally happy people out there at all? If you ask me, the only 'naturally happy' people on Earth are babies - the most innocent, unmaterialistic, worry free, blissfully happy years of life. At what stage along the way do we forget how to be 'naturally happy'?


Now, I don't know if this is a natural and common phenomenon, but at least in my case, I have to make myself 'consciously happy' by telling myself happiness quotes that I read somewhere or even optimistic songs like 'Raindrops keep falling on my head'. My mind needs to be 'told' to be happy, it never does it need to be told to be sad.


Why is this the case? How pathetic and depressed are we? Why is the mind such a sadist which readily lets in the demons while the angels need invitation? And you know whats the other thing I've noticed? Happiness and positivity deserts you right when you need it the most. Another frustrating irony of life. I sit down to study one of my most hated subjects and I need my optimism now more than ever. But that's exactly when out of nowhere my long forgotten or consciously suppressed demons from the past come haunting.


But you know whats the best part. The sooner you realize this irony, the sooner you will be armed to fight it. Acceptance is the answer. Don't question it, don't fight it, just accept it as one of those innumerous things you are defenseless against. Then, it will become a part of you, a part of your life and would cease to bother you.


Now, every time the demons come at exactly a moment when they are most unwelcome, it makes me laugh. The whole deal has become amusing now, so very predictable. An enemy isn't so threatening anymore when you know its next move. The surprise element is lost. More power to me! Life is beautiful again! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.